There are so many benefits to thinking outside the box now and then when it comes to staple dishes. For starters, swapping your typical ground beef for bison in your favorite chili recipe not only provides a ton of super lean protein, but bison is also grass-fed, which means it’s higher in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and omega-3s (aka the good fats) per ounce than its beef counterpart. Bison is the star in this easy and low-carb chili created by our nutrition expert Dr. Megan Rigby, that can be made in batches and eaten throughout the week to save you time and money. Whether or not you’re watching your carbs makes no difference, it’s incredibly delicious and satisfying as a go-to lunch or post-workout meal.
Easy Low-Carb Bison Chili
Makes 6 Servings
Macro Breakdown: Fat: 25 g Protein: 31 g Carbs: 6 g Calories: 373
2 lbs ground bison
3 cups kale
2 medium red bell peppers
1 medium yellow bell pepper
½ cup shallots, chopped
1 cup low-carb tomato sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Approximately 1 cup shredded cheese
1 avocado, diced
1. Prep and chop the shallots and bell peppers, then set aside.
2. Place bison in wok over medium-high heat and start to brown. Season with salt and pepper.
3. While the ground bison is browning, start to sauté your vegetables over medium-high heat in olive oil. Be sure to season with salt and pepper. Continue to stir and cook until tender.
4. Stir in cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper into bison and continue to stir well.
5. Once the bison is cooked, stir the kale into the pot. Cook until tender.
6. Measure out 1 cup of tomato sauce and add to the bison. Stir well, then reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Add the bell peppers and shallots to the bison mixture and stir well.
8. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and pieces of diced avocado.
Optional: Top with 1/2 an avocado.