Recipe by Kelly Von Schleis, Mind-Body Nutrition Coach
If your meal prepping could use a little spicing up, this stuffed peppers recipe is for you. Hearty and packed to the brim with lean protein, veggies, and Southwest flavors, this easy lunch and dinner idea will become a go-to favorite in your meal planning.
Grain-Free Saucy Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
Makes 4 Servings
4 large bell peppers (use a variety of colors)
½ cup marinara sauce (for the filling) + extra sauce to cover the bottom of a 9x12” baking dish
1 lb ground turkey
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups cauliflower rice
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large handful spinach, chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella + ½ cup for garnishing the tops
Pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp chopped, fresh basil
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili flakes
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Slice 4 raw peppers lengthwise in half, then de-seed.
3. Pour enough marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish to cover.
4. Place the 8 raw halves of the peppers upright into the baking dish.
5. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook, stirring often, until you see no pink at all, then remove and drain on paper towels.
6. Wipe pan of excess grease then add the onion, garlic, and riced cauliflower and cook until slightly soft. Stir in the chopped spinach until wilted.
7. In a bowl, combine the drained turkey and cooked cauliflower mixture. Add 1 cup mozzarella, spices, and herbs and toss well.
8. Fill each raw pepper with the filling, packing tightly.
9. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove pan and increase oven temp to 400°F.
10. Take the foil off, sprinkle the tops with remaining shredded mozzarella, and place back in the oven once it comes up to temp.
11. Once cheese is melted and the moisture is reduced, they are ready to serve.
Garnish suggestion: Fresh basil