Staying hydrated in warmer temperatures is about more than drinking eight glasses a day — the foods you eat can have a huge impact on how hydrated and healthy your body can feel.
Your body loses water through sweating (duh) as well as breathing and digestion, so it’s important to rehydrate by drinking fluids and eating foods that contain a ton of H2O. Water is essential for the human body to function properly. It’s in our cells, tissues and organs. Water aids in regulating body temperature, eliminating the byproducts and toxins, healthy digestion, and transporting nutrients and other essential elements to all parts of the body. It even helps moisturize the skin!
So in addition to toting your water bottle everywhere this summer, be sure to load up your plate with these five super hydrating foods:
Now put them all together with this summer recipe, perfect for a Saturday afternoon:
Hydrating Summer Fresh Salad
Serves 4-6 / Prep Time: 10 minutes / Total Time: 15 minutes
• One small container of organic
mixed greens, washed
• 1 small zucchini, spiralized
• ½ large cucumber, diced
• 3-4 large watermelon radish, thinly sliced
• 1 cup organic fresh raspberries
• 1-2 cups watermelon, cubed
• ¼ cup each, chopped fresh basil and chives
• 2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
• 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
• 1 Tbsp raw honey
• Fresh ground pepper and sea salt to taste
1. In a large serving bowl, arrange mixed greens.
2. Layer zucchini spirals over greens and top with a layer of cucumbers.
3. Toss in watermelon cubes and raspberries, then arrange watermelon radishes decoratively on top.
4. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds over top.
5. In a small jar, combine salad dressing ingredients. Put on the lid and shake to mix well.
Drizzle over salad and serve.
Top with sliced grilled chicken or salmon for a complete meal!
Want more articles from Jenn Pike? Click here to find out how yoga changed her life!
Jenn Pike is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Bestselling author of The Simplicity Project:
A Simple, No-Nonsense Approach To Losing Weight & Changing Your Body Forever!