Recipe & Styling by Carol Dudar | Photography by Paul Buceta
As the weather starts to get colder, is there anything more comforting and cozy than a hearty bowl of soup? We think not. This one has officially been added to our rotation—it’s not only delicious, but the whole-foods ingredient list is something we can get behind. Meet your protein needs while satisfying your taste buds and amping up your vitamin B levels thanks to the range of mushrooms packed into this love-in-a-bowl. Plus, who says soups aren’t satiating? The texture that the cauliflower adds to this soup makes it a full-on meal in its own right.
Mushroom, Chicken, and Cauliflower-Rice Soup
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Total Time: 40 Minutes
Makes 4 Servings
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
8 oz cremini mushrooms
5 oz oyster mushrooms
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
10 thyme stems
1 cup white onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp garlic, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsps Dijon mustard
1 L chicken broth
2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups cauliflower rice
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1½ tsp kosher salt, divided
1½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
Grated Parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
1. Add butter, oil, thyme, and rosemary to a large pot over medium heat. Tear or cut the mushrooms into large bite-size pieces. Add onion and mushrooms. Season with 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp pepper. Sauté until golden-brown and crispy, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove half of the mushroom mixture and set aside. Keep rosemary and thyme in pot, and remove from heat. Transfer remaining mushrooms to a blender. Add 1 cup broth and purée until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Return the mixture back to the pot and add remaining broth.
3. Season chicken with remaining salt and pepper and add to soup. Add cauliflower rice and simmer for 30 min.
4. Remove chicken from soup, let cool slightly, then shred with two forks. Return to soup, and add in set-aside mushrooms.
5. Add cheese and stir until completely melted. Remove rosemary and thyme, season with salt and pepper, if needed. Top with more grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.