You’ve just left the gym after a killer weight lifting session and you’re not just hungry — you’re hangry. But with a store-bought rotisserie chicken (or some pre-cooked chicken breasts) on hand, you can throw together a post-workout meal that’s high in protein and complex carbs in less than 30 minutes. Want it ready faster? Prep a few servings of quinoa in advance and this meal is ready in half the time.
Peanut Chicken Protein Power Bowl
Prep Time: 15 minutes • Total: 25 minutes • Makes 4 Servings
1 cup quinoa
8 oz bag of snap peas (about 2 cups)
2 rotisserie chicken breasts, bones and skin removed, cubed
2 cups broccoli (either raw or in a freezer bag that can be steamed in the microwave)
½ cup natural smooth peanut butter
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 garlic cloves, minced or pushed through a press
1 Tbsp lime juice
½ - ¾ cup chicken broth (depending on desired thickness)
½ tsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp honey (optional)
Pinch of white pepper
(divided among four bowls)
2 radishes, thinly sliced
4 Tbsp chopped peanuts
2 Tbsp green onions chopped
1 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, cut the chicken breast meat into cubes.
3. Place the peas and broccoli in a steamer and boil, covered, for about 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender.
4. Combine peanut butter, ginger, and garlic in a small saucepan and simmer over low-medium heat until combined and smooth (about one minute).
5. Remove peanut sauce from the heat and add lime juice, bouillon, water (or chicken broth), vinegar, honey, and white pepper. Stir until well combined.
6. To serve, place ½ cup quinoa and 3 oz chicken in each bowl along with veggies. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp peanut sauce and garnish.
Nutrients per serving (incl. garnish):
Calories: 545, Fat: 26 g, Carbs: 34 g, Protein: 43 g, Fiber: 7.5 g