Recipe and Food Styling by Michelle Rabin
Cold weather may be upon us, but that doesn’t have to mean your salad days are behind you. By incorporating in-season ingredients, robust root vegetables, and hearty greens, you can transform this summer staple into a comforting cold-weather favorite. Dense with immunity-boosting nutrients and satisfying flavors, this is one salad you’ll want to savor all season.
Beet & Tangerine Salad with Spicy Greens & Roasted Trout
Prep Time: 5 Minutes • Total Time: 1 Hour • Makes 4 servings
• 10 small beets (about the size of golf balls)
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• ¼ tsp salt
• 1 400 g trout fillet
• 3 tangerines
• 1 cup Greek yogurt
• 2 cups mizuna (if you can’t find mizuna, use another spicy green like arugula or watercress)
• ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place beets in a baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt. Cover with tin foil and roast until beets are tender enough to pierce through with a paring knife, about 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment. Place the trout fillet on the parchment and pat dry with paper towel. Season with salt.
3. Cut one of the tangerines in half and place face down on the baking sheet. Place baking sheet in the oven and roast until trout is still moist but cooked through, about 12 minutes.
4. Using a fork, flake the trout into 1-inch pieces. Set aside
5. Once beets are cool enough to handle, peel them. Rubbing the surface of the beets with a paper towel while they are still warm is a good peeling trick. Cut the beets into quarters. Set aside.
6. Peel the remaining tangerines and divide them into segments.
7. Smear the Greek yogurt onto a platter. Arrange trout, tangerine segments, beets, mizuna, and red onion over yogurt.
8. Squeeze the roasted tangerine halves over the salad and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with pistachios.