Red meat tends to get a bad rap among health experts and enthusiasts, especially if you’re at all concerned about your heart and your waistline. Typically thought of as served greasy and alongside a loaded baked potato, we tend to reserve it for cheat meals and steakhouses. But not all beef is a bum deal. In fact, a quality cut of lean steak — like sirloin, tenderloin, and flank — is loaded with nutrients that do a body good, namely immune-boosting iron and zinc, muscle-buildling protein, and vitamin B12, which contributes to brain, nerve and metabolism functions.
This hearty fall salad turns the traditional meat-and-potato stereotype on its head. Each nutrient-dense bite, complete with tender grilled steak, fire-roasted veggies, and creamy blue cheese, is a full-blown flavor bomb, that will satisfy your craving for a juicy steak without clogging your arteries. So sharpen your steak knives — beef is back on the menu.
Blue Cheese Sirloin Salad with Garlic Squash and Cherry Tomatoes
Prep time: 15 minutes / Total Time: 40 minutes / Makes 2 servings
• 2 4-6 oz sirloin steaks, trimmed of visible fat
• Olive or coconut oil cooking spray
• ¼ tsp each: garlic powder,
• onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper
• 1 cup romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
• 2 cups baby spinach
• 1-2 Tbsp blue cheese
• ½ large butternut squash, halved and cut into slices
• 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
• ½ cup cherry tomatoes
• 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
• ¼ tsp dried thyme
• 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 4 Tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat grill to medium heat. Lightly spray steaks and sprinkle both sides with seasonings. Let rest at room temperature for 5 minutes.
2. Fill a large piece of foil with butternut squash pieces, tomatoes, garlic, coconut oil, and thyme. Cover and place on the grill for 10-12 minutes until squash is tender.
3. Place steaks on grill and cook for 4-6 minutes per side, depending on desired doneness. Remove steak from the grill and let it rest.
4. Place spinach and romaine in a large bowl or platter. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil. Slice steak into thin strips against the grain, and place on salad along with squash and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with blue cheese, and drizzle with vinaigrette.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 488, Fat: 29 g, Carbs: 30 g, Protein: 33 g, Fiber: 10 g