This recipe takes the health properties of cauliflower rice and cranks it up a notch by adding crushed peanuts—an undervalued superfood that provides plant-based protein, healthy fats, antioxidants, and fiber. Try this twist on a take-out classic for yourself and discover you don’t even miss the rice or chicken! Want it vegan? Swap the scrambled egg for tofu and use vegetable stock instead of chicken.
Cauliflower & Crushed Peanut Fried “Rice”
Prep Time: 10 Minutes • Total Time: 20 Minutes • Makes 8 servings
• 3 ½ Tbsp peanut oil
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
• 2 tsp fresh minced garlic, divided
• ¼ cup carrots, finely diced
• ½ cup, onion, finely diced
• ¼ cup Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup frozen green peas, thawed
• ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
• Chicken (or vegetable) stock, as needed
• 3 Tbsp soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp sesame oil
• Ground white pepper, to taste
• ½ cup dry roasted peanuts, crushed
1. Wash cauliflower and cut into medium florets. Pulse several times in a food processor to break up the cauliflower. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the work bowl; pulse again until the cauliflower looks like rice.
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
2. In a small non-stick pan over medium heat, add ½ tablespoon peanut oil, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan.
3. Add the eggs, salt, and pepper. As the edges begin to set, lift them with a spatula and tilt to let the eggs flow underneath.
4. Let eggs set, then flip them over. Cook briefly until set like a pancake. Remove cooked eggs to a cutting board. Cool, then dice and set aside.
5. Place a wok or a wide frying pan over high heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons peanut oil, swirling to coat the sides.
6. Add 1 teaspoon garlic, cook briefly. Add cauliflower and let cook by tossing until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
7. Add remaining peanut oil and garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
8. Add diced carrots and onions, shaking pan and tossing to cook.
9. Add in cabbage, peas, cauliflower, scallions, and diced egg; moisten with a splash of chicken stock if needed.
10. Add soy sauce, sesame oil, white pepper, and crushed peanuts. Toss several times to combine; serve immediately.