Recipe by Linda Melone, CSCS • Photo by Paul Buceta
When the plummeting January temps have you craving something steamy, look no further than this quick recipe for chunky chicken soup. With mounds of hearty veggies and more than 20 grams of protein, this speedy and meaty soup puts the canned stuff to shame. Follow the recipe exactly, or clean out your crisper by adding diced carrots, celery, or mushrooms to the mix. Make a double batch and freeze the leftovers for a perfect go-to meal when you’re feeling chilled.
Chunky Chicken Vegetable Soup
Prep Time: 10 min • Total Time: 40 min
Makes 2-3 servings
• 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
• 8 ounces chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 small zucchini, diced
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 tsp dried basil
• 1 tomato, chopped
• 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 2 Tbsp orzo or other small pasta
• 1 1/2 cups packed baby spinach
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté until browned, about 4 minutes; transfer to a plate and set aside.
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
2. Add zucchini, garlic, basil and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, broth and orzo; increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 8 minutes.
4. Stir in spinach, cooked chicken and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring, until the chicken is heated through and pasta is al dente.
Nutrients per Serving:
Calories: 417, Fat: 22 g, Carbs: 33 g
Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 23 g