Adding a little heat to your meal will kick the flavor up a notch, but not the calories! These spicy kabobs might make you break a bit of sweat but they’ll also keep your appetite at bay while fueling your muscles with amino acids. Protein breaks down slowly, helping to rev your metabolism and curb cravings.
Citrus & Spice Chicken Skewers
Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 1 hr
Makes 5 servings
5 boneless, skinless chicken breast
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
2 fresh limes
3 Tbsp hot sauce
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp ground pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Slice each chicken breast into 3-4 strips.
2. In a sealable bag, add chicken breast pieces and all seasonings. Release the air from the bag, re-seal and shake, ensuring all chicken pieces are evenly coated in the sauce. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (or overnight).
3. Prior to grilling, soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
4. Preheat grill or barbeque to medium heat. Remove the chicken pieces from the bag and place them on the wooden skewers.
5. Grill chicken skewers for 6 minutes on each side until fully cooked and juices run clear.
6. Move the cooked skewers to a platter and sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro. Squeeze lime juice over all the skewers and serve.
Nutrients per 2 skewers:
Calories: 180, Fat: 2 g,
Carbs: 1 g, Protein: 39g