Recipes by Shoshana Pritzker RD, CDN
Food styling by Marianne Wren
Icy cool treats are a must when the summer starts to sizzle. But can you have your mocha ice cream and keep your nutrition on point? Absolutely. With these guilt-free frozen goodies, you can beat the heat and get those gains. It’s a win-win.
Note: All total times include freezing time.
Peach Berry Popsicles
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 4-12 hours
Makes 4 servings
• 4 cups fresh peach slices, peeled
• ¼ cup coconut water
• ¼ cup fresh blueberries
• ¼ cup fresh blackberries
1. In a food processor or blender, purée the frozen peaches with the coconut water. Scrape down the sides and process again until smooth and creamy.
2. Add fresh berries to the popsicle molds, then pour the peach mixture over, stopping about 1/4 inch from the top. Add the sticks and freeze until frozen, or overnight.
Mocha Latte Protein Ice Cream
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
• 2 scoops chocolate protein powder
• 1 1/4 cup milk (or milk alternative)
• ½ tsp gelatin or xantham gum
• 1-2 Tbsp instant coffee
• ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
1. Combine the protein powder and gelatin/xantham gum in a medium bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, froth the milk using a handheld blender until it almost doubles in size. Add the frothed milk to the combined dry ingredients and mix with a spatula.
3. Using the handheld blender, give the mixture a whirl to make sure it is well combined. Add the mixture to an ice cream maker and follow the directions.
4. After about five minutes, add the chocolate chips to the ice cream maker. Ice cream will be done after about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a container and place in the freezer, cover, and let freeze for at least one hour.
Don’t have an ice cream maker? Place the mixture in a zippered plastic bag. Place that bag into a larger zippered bag that is full of ice and ½ cup table salt. Shake and agitate the mixture in the bags for 5-10 minutes until it becomes thick and creamy. Then transfer to another container and place in the freezer to firm up. Magic!