Recipe by Emily Satrazemis, RD, CSSD
When it comes to feeding hungry, hard-worked muscles, we all turn to protein to deliver the goods — and by goods, we mean those bicep-building, glute-growing amino acids. But with the vegetarian lifestyle quickly increasing in popularity, not everyone can turn to a trusty chicken breast to hit their quota of this mega macronutrient. Luckily, Mother Nature provides a ton of alternatives when meat isn’t an option, like the legumes that star in this flavor-packed recipe.
These falafel burgers are more than a tasty way to please a meatless eater — they’re also super high in filling fibre, healthy fats and of course, plant-based protein. Vegan? Skip the aioli or use a soy-based yogurt alternative. For a little extra protein, try tempeh bacon as a topper or serve it on protein-enriched bread.
Falafel Burgers with Lemon Yogurt Aioli
Prep Time: 15 Min / Total Time: 30 Min / Makes 8 servings
• 2 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
• 1 medium onion
• 1 cup fresh parsley
• 1 cup fresh cilantro
• 1 cup fresh mint
• 1 Tbsp cumin
• 1 Tbsp cardamom
• ½ Tbsp salt
• 1 Tbsp black pepper
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
• 2 cloves fresh garlic
• 1 Tbsp chili flakes (optional)
• ¼ – ½ cup coconut oil (for frying)
• 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
• 1 Tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
• 1 tsp garlic, minced
• Pinch each: salt and pepper
• 2 tsp sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
1. Place all burger ingredients in a food processor and puree until fairly smooth, adding a bit of water if needed. With clean hands, form mixture into 8 patties.
2. In large skillet, melt a generous amount of coconut oil to cover the bottom (¼ inch deep). Heat oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, drop burgers into oil, 2-4 at a time, and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until browned and crispy.
3. In a small bowl, mix yogurt with lemon and seasoning, and top burgers with 1-2 Tbsp of aioli before serving.
Nutrients per Serving (including aioli):
Calories: 330, Fat: 13 g, Carbs: 31 g, Protein: 9 g, Fiber: 10 g