If you’re not already accustomed to cooking with Swiss chard, breakfast is the perfect meal to sneak some in. This easy frittata recipe includes the buttery richness of sautéed rainbow chard, plus all of it’s health benefits, topped with deliciously creamy goat cheese for a bit of zip. Bake it up in the morning to kick-start your day, or enjoy as lunch or dinner.
Rainbow Chard & Goat Cheese Frittata
Prep time: 25 min • Total Time: 35 min • Makes 4 servings
• 1 bunch fresh rainbow chard, washed and dried
• 2 Tbsp canola or grapeseed oil
• ¾ cup diced onion
• 4 whole eggs
• 1 cup egg whites
• 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
• 60g plain, low-fat (12% MF) goat cheese
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 350 ° F.
2. Tear chard leaves off stalks. Coarsely chop leaves and thinly slice stalks. Separate and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, and garlic.
3. In a large, oven-proof frying pan, heat oil over medium-low heat and swirl to coat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chard stalks and heat until they start to soften, 5 minutes. Add chard leaves and continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until all chard is tender, 5 minutes. Note: Chard cooks down a lot, so until leaves begin to wilt, the pan will appear quite full.
4. Pour egg mixture evenly over vegetables and cook, without stirring, until eggs begin to set around the edges, 5 minutes.
5. Crumble goat cheese evenly over top and transfer pan to oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until center is set and completely cooked.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool briefly. Loosen around edge of frittata with spatula and cut into 4 wedges. Top with freshly ground pepper and serve.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 226, Fat: 14 g, Carbs: 11 g, Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 17 g