Recipe & Photo by Laura Lea Goldberg
Craving something different for breakfast? Break out the waffle maker and whip up these toasty, wholesome waffles from certified holistic chef Laura Lea Goldberg. Made with vitamin E-rich almond flour and heart healthy coconut milk, these grain-free waffles can be modified to fit a dairy-free diet as well. Perfect as a post-workout treat or make a large batch and freeze them for a chilly Sunday.
Grain-Free Cinnamon Waffles
Prep Time: 20 Minutes • Total Time: 30 Minutes • Makes 2 Belgian waffles
• 2 Tbsp melted butter, plus 1 tsp for waffle maker if necessary (for dairy free sub coconut oil)
• 1 cup almond flour
• ¼ cup arrowroot starch or non-GMO cornstarch
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 1½ tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp sea salt
• 3 large eggs, separated into yolks and whites
• ½ cup canned full-fat coconut milk
• 2 Tbsp maple syrup
• 1½ tsp vanilla extract
1. If your waffle maker doesn’t have a nonstick surface, grease with one tsp melted butter or coconut oil. Heat according to manufacturer directions.
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, baking powder, and sea salt.
3. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together egg yolks, melted butter, coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
4. With a handheld or stand mixer, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, approximately one minute. Soft peaks hold for a second, then fall back onto themselves. This will look like a light white foam.
5. Stir egg yolk mixture into dry ingredients. Gently fold in egg whites until just incorporated.
6. Add half of your batter to waffle maker and cook for 2½-3 minutes, until edges are lightly golden brown. Gently remove and repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately.
7. Waffles will keep tightly sealed in the refrigerator for two days. I reheat them in the oven at 300°F until they are softened and warm to touch. You can also freeze them up to one month.