Recipe by Charmaine Broughton | Photo by Paul Buceta
It’s Friday night. You’re tired, hungry and have no desire to eat chicken and broccoli leftovers for the third time this week. Instinctively, you throw on your sweats and reach for a stack of takeout menus. Hold the phone! Before you dial up your Chinese takeout favorite, do a quick scan of your pantry. With a few simple ingredients you can whip up a fried rice dish with the satisfying flavor
of delivery, minus the inflated price and calorie count.
Neptune Fried Rice
Prep Time: 15 min • Total Time: 1 hr
Makes 4 servings
• 1 Tbsp coconut oil
• ½ lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 20 shrimp)
• 2 eggs, whisked
• ½ cup each: finely sliced green onion and green peppers, grated carrot, bean sprouts
• ½ cup wild rice
• 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
• 2 tsp light soy sauce
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 3 Tbsp chopped unsalted peanuts
• 1 tsp black sesame seeds
1. Cook wild rice according to package.
2. Heat half the oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Cook shrimp for
2-3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Add remaining oil and cook eggs and vegetables, stirring until egg is cooked,
about 1-2 minutes.
4. Add cooked rice, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and shrimp back to pan.
Cook while stirring for about 1 minute until rice is warm and slightly crispy.
5. Divide mixture into bowls or takeout containers and garnish evenly with
chopped peanuts and sesame seeds.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 232, Fat: 13 g, Carbs: 12 g
Protein: 19.5 g, Fiber: 2 g
Get this recipe and more healthy takeout-inspired recipes in the Sept/Oct issue of STRONG Fitness Magazine.