If you’ve ever sunk your teeth into an authentic Philly cheesesteak sandwich, then you know how sinfully satisfying and heart-stoppingly gooey the real deal is. This cleaned-up version may not please the purists, but if you’re looking for a healthier alternative without the insanely high calorie price tag, it gets the job done. We simply doubled the veggies, swapped the melty cheese for a lean and creamy parmesan sauce and threw it all in a whole-grain bun. The result? A wholesome, balanced meal that will crush a craving, but won’t negate your last three workouts.
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich with Dijon Cheese Sauce
Prep Time: 15 min / Total Time: 20 min / Makes 4 servings
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 12 oz striploin steak, thinly sliced
• 1 small cooking onion
• 3 cups sliced red, green & yellow peppers
• 1 Tbsp water
• 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tsp minced garlic
• Pinch salt & pepper
• 4 small whole grain sub buns
Dijon Cheese Sauce
• 1 Tbsp corn starch
• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• Pinch nutmeg
• ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 cup milk
• 1-2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Cook steak for about 2-3 minutes until brown on the edges.
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
2. Remove from pan. Add onions, peppers and water and turn heat down to medium heat.
3. Cook, stirring often for about 8 minutes. Add balsamic, garlic, salt and pepper. Add steak back to pan. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place cornstarch, mustard, nutmeg and cheese in a small saucepot. Whisk in milk. Heat over medium heat and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes, or until thick. Remove from heat, stir in parsley and set aside.
5. Divide beef among sub buns and top with pepper mixture. Top with warm cheese sauce and serve.