Is there any snack more satisfying and fun to share than nachos? And when you have a craving for them, it's impossible not to indulge. But why not make nachos a healthier and high-protein meal as opposed to a treat you save for the pub or Mexican night? We stole this delicious, chip-free idea from blogger Rachel Maser of www.cleanfoodcrush.com and we may even like them better than the original. We bet they'll become a staple in your weekly meal plan.
Chicken “Nachos” Skillet
Prep Time: 10 Minutes • Total Time: 22 Minutes • Makes 4-5 servings
• 1.5 lb chicken tenders
• 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp ground cumin seed
• sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
• 8 oz vine tomatoes, diced
• 1 cup frozen organic corn, thawed
• 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
• ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1-2 jalapenos
• 4 green onions, thinly sliced
• 6 slices of nitrate-free bacon, crispy cooked and crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large glass bowl, add chicken tenders with the bell pepper and sprinkle with paprika, chili powder, cumin, sea salt, and pepper.
3. Mix together with your hands to get all chicken pieces well coated with seasoning.
4. Heat oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add chicken and bell peppers mixture and cook, stirring for about 8 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown on the outside.
6. Once all chicken tenders are cooked, arrange them in the skillet as shown, and sprinkle on the toppings.
7. Place entire skillet in your preheated oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and garnish with green onions and crumbled bacon on top.