Photo by Paul Buceta
If you have never bothered to give broccolini a chance, you could be missing out on many of the health benefits of regular broccoli, but with a more palatable flavor and texture. Loaded with vitamin C, and a good source of vitamin A, calcium, and fiber, you’ll want to make this vibrant veg a star at supper tonight.
Need some inspiration? Try chopped broccolini in this delicious dish that can be served as a side or a meal on its own! Get creative by swapping in turkey sausage or skipping the meat altogether for a tasty vegetarian version.
Pesto Barley with Broccolini & Sausage
Prep Time: 50 Minutes • Total Time: 55 Minutes • Makes 6 Servings
• 1½ cups pearl barley, rinsed and drained
• ½ cup walnut halves
• 2 garlic cloves
• 3 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
• ½ cup parmesan, grated
• ⅓ cup white cheddar, grated
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (plus more if needed)
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ lemon, squeezed
• 4 sweet Italian sausage, cut into ½-inch chunks
• 2 cups cherry tomatoes, washed
• 2 bunches broccolini, washed, drained, and cut into 1-inch pieces
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
1. Place barley in pot with four cups of water on high heat. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and allow to simmer until all water is soaked up, about 30-40 minutes. You may have to add another ½ cup of water throughout the cooking process if barley is still not tender.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the pesto. In a food processor, add the walnuts and garlic and pulse about 10 times to break down into fine pieces. Add half of the basil, cheese, and olive oil, and blend to mix. Add remaining basil and cheese and allow to mix, slowly adding remaining olive oil until desired consistency is met. Add the salt and lemon juice and finish puréeing. Leave aside.
3. Heat approximately one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped sausage and cook through, about five minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes and allow to sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the broccolini and cook together for another five minutes.
4. Once the barley is cooked and all water has been soaked up, add the pesto and mix thoroughly. Add the sausage, cherry tomatoes, and broccolini, and mix to combine.
5. Portion into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 599, Fat: 39 g, Carbs: 41 g, Protein: 22 g, Fiber: 9 g