Recipe by Joy Kushner, NASM-CPT, Fitness Nutrition Specialist
Photo by Paul Buceta
Summer may soon be behind us, but that doesn’t mean you have to say goodbye to the grill. This fall recipe takes the season’s freshest produce, apples, and perfectly pairs it with lean pork tenderloin, for a high-protein dish that builds muscle and satisfies hunger. Plus, it’s served with grilled purple cabbage, for a smokey-sweet side dish packed with nutrients (we’re talking twice as much iron as the green variety). So grab the tongs and fire up the ‘cue, because this recipe is about to become a staple in your meal plan.
Pork Tenderloin & Apple Skewers
with grilled purple cabbage
Prep time: 20 minutes • Total time: 45 minutes +
2 hours to marinate • Makes 4 servings
• 2 pork tenderloins, trimmed
..(about 1.5-2 lbs total)
• 2 red apples
• 1 head purple cabbage
• 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 2.5 Tbsp pomegranate
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 Tbsp soy sauce
• 2 tsp brown sugar
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• Pinch ground pepper
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
• 6 Tbsp olive oil
• 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• Juice of two limes
1. Cut pork into large chunks, about 1 ¼-inch cubes, and place in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk marinade ingredients until combined. Pour over meat, cover, and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
3. Preheat grill to low heat.
4. Core the cabbage and cut it into quarters. Place a toothpick through each piece to keep it together on the grill.
5. Discard pork marinade. Cut the apples into ½-inch thick slices. Alternate the pork and the apples on skewers.
6. Drizzle each cabbage quarter with 2 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on the grill rack and cook for 20 minutes, rotating every 5 minutes.
7. Place the pork skewers on the grill. Cook for 7 minutes on the first side, 6 minutes on the second side, 5 minutes on the third side, and 5 minutes on the final side.
8. Remove everything from the grill and allow the pork to rest for 5 minutes. Whisk dressing ingredients. Drizzle dressing over cabbage and serve.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 582, Fat: 33 g, Carbs: 31 g, Protein: 36 g, Fiber: 8 g
Need more carbs? Serve with wild rice.