Recipe by Andrea Falcone Food Styling by Michelle Rabin
The next time you’re reaching for peaches in the produce aisle, don’t pass over the plums! With benefits in bone, bowel, and heart health, adding fresh purple plums and rhubarb crumble to your summer nutrition plan is a sweet way to stay healthy.
Most are in season between May and September, but you may just find a variety or two throughout the entire year.
Purple Plum and Rhubarb Crumble
Prep Time: 20 minutes • Total Time: 55 minutes • Makes 6 servings
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
- 3 medium sized plums, washed and diced
- 1 cup rhubarb, diced
- 1 Tbsp candied ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup large flake oats
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened flaked coconut
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter (unsalted), melted
Optional Toppings: Vanilla Greek yogurt, Whipped cream, Frozen yogurt
Quick Tip: This is truly a year-round recipe to have on hand for a quick meal ending. Try purple plums in the summer months, red or black plums in the fall and winter, and plumcots in the spring.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a bowl, mix together the diced plums, rhubarb, candied ginger, honey, and brown sugar. Stir to combine all ingredients. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the rolled oats, coconut flakes, pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir to combine all ingredients. Add the melted butter, mixing evenly.
3. Align six ramekins on a baking sheet. Evenly distribute the fruit-mixture filling in each ramekin. Top with the granola crumble, using all ingredients up.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes until fruit is softened and crumble is golden brown. You can choose to broil the crumbles for a few minutes to allow the tops to crisp slightly more, but be sure not to burn them.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10-20 minutes prior to serving. Serve on their own with any garnish or topping you like.
Nutrients per serving (without additional topping):
Calories: 250, Fat: 14 g, Carbs: 30 g, Protein: 3 g, Fiber: 4 g