There’s no need to ban baked goods just because you’re health-conscious. This breakfast side-kick or pre-workout snack is low in sugar and packed with quality carbs, healthy fats, and a hit of protein. Try them with your favorite berries and different nut butters for equally delicious creations.
Skinny Strawberry Scones with Peanut Butter Glaze
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Makes 8 servings
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup oat flour (or ground whole oats)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp teaspoon salt
4 Tbsp chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup light buttermilk
1 cup sliced strawberries
Optional: 2 Tbsp Truvia Sugar Blend
2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
5-6 Tbsp skim milk (or unsweetened milk substitute)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder,
baking soda and salt.
2. Add the butter to the mixture. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter in the flour,
forming coarse pieces.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, vanilla extract and egg. Add the mixture to the flour.
Mix with a fork.
4. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and flatten into a circle. Cut into 8 wedges.
5. Place the wedges on a prepared baking sheet (lined with parchment paper or greased
with cooking spray) and bake for 14-16 minutes.
6. Remove and let cool on a wire rack. Soften the peanut butter in a small saucepan
over medium heat. Add milk and stir until smooth. Drizzle over cooled scones. Serve.
Nutrition per serving (1 scone):
Fat: 10 g
Carbs: 37 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 9 g
Recipe by Shoshana Pritzker, RD | Photo by Paul Buceta