Recipe by Janice De Boer, BSC, RD | Photography by Paul Buceta
Take comfort food to the next level and tap into the health benefits of plants! Whether you’re a full-time vegetarian or just looking for a side dish with star power, this aromatic meatless recipe is a must try. It packs a punch in flavor, and when it comes to vitamins and antioxidants, the nutrient profile is off the charts! Plus, hearty ingredients like lentils, carrots, kale and raisins amp up the fiber content to keep you
full and satisfied.
Stewed Kale with Lentils and Walnuts
Prep time: 10 minutes • Total time: 30 minutes
Makes 4-6 servings
• 1 Tbsp coconut or canola oil
• 1 medium sweet onion, minced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
• 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 cup sodium-free vegetable stock
• 2 cups green or brown lentils, cooked
• 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
• ¼ cup raisins
• ¼ cup walnut pieces (toasted if desired)
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion, garlic and ginger and sauté until softened,
about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add carrot and spices. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes, continuing to stir as needed.
3. Add vegetable stock, lentils and raisins. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in kale until wilted, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in walnuts. Serve as a side dish to the
Chickpea Turkey Meatloaf, or over brown rice.
Nutrients per serving (approx. 1 cup):
Calories: 213, Fat: 6 g, Carbs: 33 g
Fiber: 7 g, Protein: 10 g