Oatmeal may have been ordinary 10 years ago, but these days, it’s a fitness lover’s idea of the perfect food; a vehicle for delicious combinations of flavors and toppings that are both satisfying and beneficial to a healthy body. This recipe is no exception. A fusion of sweet and spice, it also happens to pack more than 30 muscle-making grams of protein, plus a modest amount of calories and carbs. Needless to say, this ain’t your grandma’s oatmeal.
Strawberry Chai-Spiced Oatmeal
Prep Time: 5 min | Total Time: 15 min
Makes 1 serving
1 ¼ cup water (use less for thicker consistency)
1 bag chai tea
½ cup dry, large flake oats
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1 tsp flax seed, freshly ground
½ Tbsp low-fat milk (or milk alternative)
½ cup fresh strawberries, sliced
1. In a small pot, bring water to a boil over high heat.
2. Remove pot from heat. Steep the tea bag for approximately 5 minutes.
3. Remove tea bag and return water to the stove and bring back to a boil.
4. Once boiling, add oats, then reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, about 8-10 minutes.
5. Transfer cooked oats to a serving bowl. Stir in protein powder and ground flax. Stir in a little milk at a time until desired consistency is reached.
6. Top oats with strawberries and lightly sprinkle with cinnamon.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 330, Fat: 4 g,
Carbs: 40 g, Fiber: 7 g, Protein: 32 g