For most oatmeal lovers, the very thought of a steaming bowl of hearty oats is reason enough to get out of bed in the morning — the filling fiber and complex carbs are the perfect way to power a busy day or fuel a killer workout. In fact, it’s so satisfying and nutritious, we figure, why stop at breakfast? With the right balance of nutrients plus a good hit of protein (like in the ridiculously yummy strawberry shortcake-inspired version here) your classic morning meal becomes a promising candidate for a post-workout snack or even dessert. So there’s no need to wait until morning; have your oatmeal now, and eat it too.
Strawberry Shortcake Protein Oatmeal
Prep Time: 5 min • Total Time: 12-15 minutes • Makes 1 serving
• 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
• 1-1 1/2 cups vanilla almond or soy milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp pure maple syrup
• 1/3 cup ripe strawberries, mashed
• 1 scoop vanilla flavored protein powder
• 3 whole strawberries, sliced
• 2 Tbsp vanilla Greek yogurt
1. In a medium saucepan, bring oats, milk and vanilla to a low boil, then reduce heat and continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes or until almost cooked.
2. Remove oats from heat. Stir in mashed strawberries, maple syrup, protein powder, and a bit of extra milk if needed. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
3. Scoop oat mixture into a bowl. Top with sliced strawberries and Greek yogurt and serve.