If a fresh, crisp summer salad is your lunch of choice from June to September, you’re going to need a go-to dressing to bring out all of those refreshing flavors. But while the store-bought stuff is often full of sketchy preservatives and too much sugar, making it from scratch is an easy and delicious way to know what you’re getting. If you’ve never tried passionfruit, this tropical dressing is the perfect way to showcase its intoxicating aroma and tangy sweetness.
When it comes to nutrients, the passionfruit is small but mighty. Its flesh is a rich store of vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, and fiber, but with only 17 calories per fruit! Just one fruit provides 60 mg of potassium, helping to maintain fluid balance, control blood pressure, and enable nerves and muscles to work together. Since passionfruit is 75 percent water, it can also boost your total daily fluid intake.
Summer Salad with Passionfruit Dressing
PREP TIME: 10 Minutes / TOTAL TIME: 20 Minutes / MAKES: 2 servings
• 2 handfuls of baby spinach
• ½ medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
• 1 medium ripe mango, peeled and cubed
• 1 tsp hemp seeds
• Fresh cilantro
• Freshly ground pepper
• 2 passionfruits
• ½ tsp honey
• 1 tsp freshly-squeezed
• lime juice
• 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1. Place spinach, red pepper, and mango in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. To make dressing, cut each passionfruit in half and scrape pulp and seeds into a small bowl or jar.
Add honey, lime juice, olive oil, and cilantro. Whisk well.
3. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat.
4. Divide salad between two plates and sprinkle evenly with hemp seeds.
5. Garnish with additional fresh cilantro and add freshly-ground pepper to taste.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 136, Fat: 4 g, Carbs: 28 g, Fiber: 6 g, Protein: 3 g
Want 5 more thirst-quenching foods for summer? Click here!