Can't decide if you're craving sweet or salty? With this easy-to-make snack, you can have both, plus a dose of healthy fats and antioxidants! In case you missed it, fat is an essential macronutrient that plays an important role in your overall health and bodily functions, namely improved energy, mental clarity, absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, as well as healthy skin and nails. But most importantly, fat is critical for balanced hormones.
Of course, you want to try to steer clear of saturated and trans-fats, two types which negatively impact cholesterol and heart health. These are typically found in fried, greasy, and lard-laden foods.
Top sources of daily fat should come from omega, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats, such as the ones listed here:
- Fatty Fish
- Dark Chocolate 70%
- Moderate intake of full-fat dairy
Sweet & Salty Dark Chocolate Bark
Prep Time: 15 Minutes • Total Time: 45 Minutes • Makes 12 pieces
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 2 tsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup raw, salted mixed nuts (cashews, pecans, almonds, walnuts, and peanuts)
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Tip: Use Stevia-sweetened chocolate for a low-carb option.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper; evenly spread nuts onto sheet.
3. Roast 10-12 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Mix cranberries with the nuts on the pan once cooled.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine chocolate, cinnamon, and salt, melting over low heat, stirring continuously until melted, about 3–5 minutes.
5. Pour chocolate mixture over the nuts and cranberries, coating evenly.
6. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 30 minutes. Break cooled chocolate mixture into 1-2-inch clusters.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or refrigerate.
Nutrients per serving (2 pieces):
Protein 5 g Carbs 18 g Fat 20 g Fiber 3.5 g Sugar 8.5 g