Recipe by Kelly Von Schleis | Photo by Paul Buceta
Looking for a hearty meal that doesn't take hours in the kitchen? This warm-your-insides vegan curry dish ticks all the boxes: Healthy, delicious, and ready in 20 minutes or less. Get creative with your favorite veggies, or add chicken if you're a meat eater. Either way, this quick comfort meal is sure to become a staple dinner during the cooler months.
Vegan Red Thai Curry with Tofu
Ready in: 20 Minutes or less • Makes 4 Servings
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp red Thai curry paste (or curry of choice)
- 2 tsps tamari (or soy sauce)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup extra firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass or 2 tsps paste (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 -4 Tbsps red Thai curry paste (or curry of choice), more for additional flavor/spice
- 1 13.5-fl-oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Brown rice or cauliflower rice, for serving
- Garnishes: Chopped Thai basil leaves, green onion, fresh cilantro
1. Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well to make the tofu marinade. Add cubed tofu into the bowl with marinade and mix gently to ensure the tofu is well coated. Cover with cling wrap and transfer to the fridge.
2. In a large saucepan, fry onions, garlic, and ginger in 1 Tbsp coconut oil for 2-3 minutes until softened.
3. Add peppers and zucchini and sauté for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are cooked, yet tender.
4. Mix in coconut milk, lime juice, curry paste, salt, pepper, and lemongrass, and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
5. In the meantime, make rice as per package directions.
6. Take the tofu out of the fridge. Heat up 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a pan over high heat. When the pan is very hot, add tofu and fry for 3-5 minutes until brown and crispy. Toss tofu regularly to ensure all sides are crispy.
7. Remove the lemongrass stalks from the pot, if added.
8. Serve over rice and top with garnishes.