Photo by Sarah Safarian of HumblyHealthy.org
There are few flavors as warming and comforting as curry. Spicy and aromatic, curries are also amped with powerful antioxidant, antibiotic, and anti-inflammatory properties thanks to ingredients like turmeric and coriander.
This unique dish from certified holistic nutritionist Sarah Safarian of the plant-based recipe blog HumblyHealthy.org combines these benefits along with the potassium and vitamin C of sweet potato, and immune-boosting power of garlic and onion for a super healthy and satisfying meal you can make in less than 30 minutes.
Vegan Sweet Potato Noodles in Butternut Curry Sauce
Prep Time: 15 Minutes • Total Time: 25 Minutes • Makes 1 Serving
- Olive oil
- ½ white onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, pressed, or 1 generous tsp of garlic paste
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2-3 Tbsp curry powder (depending how strong you like your curry)
- 1 tsp rock salt
- ⅓ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup of coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 large sweet potato
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
1. Heat oil in a nonstick pan over high heat.
2. Add onion, garlic, salt, curry powder, and black pepper and let sweat while stirring frequently for about two minutes.
3. Add squash and lower the heat to avoid burning. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture has absorbed the spices.
4. Add coconut milk or cream and stir to combine.
5. Bring to a boil. Let cook for about 10 minutes or until the squash is tender, dropping the heat slightly if needed to avoid boiling over.
6. While your sauce is cooking, make your sweet potato noodles: peel off potato skin and use a vegetable spiralizer or a peeler with a wide blade to make thin noodles.
7. Taste the sauce, and add a touch more salt or curry powder if desired.
8. Add sweet potato noodles to the butternut curry sauce the last five minutes (max) of cooking.
9. Transfer noodles to a bowl and top with pumpkin seeds and cilantro.
Looking for more dinner ideas? Here’s another plant-powered recipe you might enjoy!