Photo by Paul Buceta
When the cool weather hits, the last thing you crave is a leafy salad with raw veggies. But who says a salad has to be cold? With warm, hearty ingredients that fill you up and keep your immune system revving, this protein-rich dish is a complete meal on its own or as a delicious side.
Loaded with powerful plant compounds, red cabbage is an extremely rich source of antioxidants, such as vitamin C, anthocyanins, and carotenoids, as well as other disease-fighting properties linked to heart health and cancer prevention.
Wild rice packs a mean nutrient punch, providing plenty of minerals, essential nutrients, and even a hit of plant-based protein. Following a vegetarian diet? Ditch the turkey and you'll still get a complete meatless meal (you could even swap the meat for chickpeas or black beans for an extra protein boost).
Warm Wild Rice & Turkey Sausage Salad with Red Cabbage
Prep Time: 10 Minutes • Total Time: 40 Minutes • Makes 4 servings
• 1 Tbsp cumin seed
• 2 tsp coriander seed
• 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
• 1 cooking onion, thinly sliced
• 4 cups red cabbage, shredded
• 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup wild rice, cooked as per package directions
• ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
• ½ cup dates, roughly chopped
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 Tbsp honey
• 4 turkey sausages (about 375 g), cooked as per package directions and sliced into 1-inch thick pieces
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large pan over medium-high. Add in cumin and coriander seeds and toast until fragrant, about 3 minutes, shaking the pan frequently. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to pan. Once heated, add in onion and cook until fragrant and translucent, about 4 minutes.
3. Add in cabbage and cook until bright purple and tender, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Pour in vinegar and stir. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
5. In a bowl, stir cumin, coriander, rice, walnuts, dates, cinnamon, honey, and remaining oil.
6. Place cabbage on a platter and top with sausage. Pour wild rice mixture over. Season with salt and pepper.