Chicken, beef, eggs, repeat – sound familiar? Loading up your plate with protein in an effort to build muscle can sometimes lead to meat monotony. But adding fish into the mix can open up a world of flavor combinations and health benefits. Halibut, for example, is chock-full of lean protein in addition to omega-3s, which have been shown to boost brain health and immune function. It’s also high in the amino acid tryptophan which tends to increase your serotonin level and can help you sleep. Roast it up with some tangy citrus, salty olives and refreshing fennel, and you’ve got a one-dish meal that’s anything but ordinary.
Roasted Halibut with Fennel, Black Olives & Oranges
Prep Time: 10 min • Total Time 40 min • Makes 4 servings
• 1 large bulb fennel
• 2 leeks
• 2 medium naval oranges
• 12 pitted Kalamata olives
• 4 4-oz halibut filets, skin removed
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 3/4 tsp fine sea salt, divided
• ½ tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
• 1 tsp fennel seeds
1. Preheat oven to 425°F with the racks arranged in the middle of the oven. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet (13×18 inches) with cooking spray.
2. Lay fennel on its side on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife trim away stalks and root-end and discard. Cut the fennel in half and remove core, then slice thinly into ¼ inch thick slices. Arrange fennel on prepared baking sheet.
3. Trim away dark green tops of the leeks and root-end and discard. Slice leeks in half lengthwise and clean under warm running water to remove any dirt. Return leeks to cutting board and slice crosswise into 2 inch lengths. Arrange on baking sheet with fennel.
4. Using a sharp knife trim away the peel and white membrane from one of the oranges. Slice into ¼ inch thick rounds and arrange on baking sheet with fennel. Juice second orange.
5. Flatten olives with the side of a large chef’s knife to crack them open slightly and place on baking sheet. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil over the vegetables and sprinkle with half the salt, pepper and fennel seeds. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
6. Remove baking sheet from oven and place fish filets over veggies. Drizzle with remaining Tbsp of olive oil, and remaining salt, pepper and fennel seeds. Return baking sheet to oven and continue cooking until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, and fennel is beginning to brown, about 10-13 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with reserved orange juice.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 269, Fat: 11 g, Carbs: 17 g, Protein: 25 g, Fiber: 4 g