Written by Jenn Pike, RHN, Fitness & Yoga Expert
My husband has always been active, but recently he decided to kick things up a notch and registered for an Olympic Distance Triathlon. So this Father’s Day, my children and I wanted to give him a gifts that would help him on his journey and take care of him head-to-toe. Whether the man in your life is into running, cycling, playing sports or hitting the gym, here are a few gift ideas to keep him happy and healthy.
1. Give the gift of an effective cardio workout Dad can do in the yard, the garage, the cottage, anywhere! With the Rx Jump Rope from Rx Smart Gear you can customize the handle and cable color, as well as the cable weight and length so it fits his build perfectly — and matches his sneakers. $43-49; rxsmartgear.com
2. If your fit dad loves tech gadgets, the UA Health Box from Under Armour includes everything he needs to track his health and fitness progress in one easy-to-use system. The kit comes complete with a band to track activity and sleep, a heart monitor to measure workout intensity, and a scale that to keep an eye on his weight and body fat percentage. $400; underarmour.com
3. If you’re on a budget, you can make an awesome gift and improve Dad’s manscaping game with an all-natural, homemade shaving cream. I make most of our family’s skincare products and this one turned out to be amazing! You can find most of the ingredients in your pantry and at your local health store. Just mix them together and put the finishd product in a cool jar or bottle, then upgrade his razor (we went with the Schick Hydro 5, $5; amazon.com). And voila! Happy Dad!
Smooth Man Shaving Cream
• ½ cup oil (olive, jojoba or almond)
• ¼ cup organic liquid honey
• ¼ cup liquid Dr Bonner’s Lavender Castile Soap
• 5 drops each of helichrysum and sandalwood
1. Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk for several minutes until
all of the ingredients have fully combined. Pour into a bottle or jar.
4. If Dad loves to snack but is watching his waistline, he’ll love the Genuine Health Vegan Fermented Protein Bar. They taste like a treat but are non-gmo, have 15 grams of easily digestible protein, and clock in at just 210 calories. Give him a box so he can keep one in his gym bag for a post-workout refuel or his desk drawer at work for that 3 p.m. snack attack. $3 per bar; genuinehealth.com for retailers.
5. After a tough workout, he’ll need some serious recovery time. If he loves deep tissue massage, these Yoga Tune-Up Therapy Balls are right up his alley. Created by yoga guru Jill Miller, this self-massage system is made from special rubber that grips at your skin, grabs at multiple layers of muscle tissue, and works out adhesions and tension, providing pain and stress relief. $45 for Massage Therapy Full-Body Kit; yogatuneup.com
6. If he considers himself a multitasker, Dad will love the Mobility Bottle from MOBOT. This brilliant 2-in-1 foam roller and water bottle comes in a variety of colors and patterns to suit his style, plus three different sizes. Perfect for staying hydrated while remember to stretch those hamstrings either in the gym or on the go. $39 for 18 oz; mobotnation.com