Recipe by Charmaine Broughton | Photography by Paul Buceta
When it comes to delivery, pizza is king.
Nothing puts the cherry on top of Friday night couch surfing or Sunday afternoon football like a hot, cheesy wheel smothered in a mound of toppings. But unless you have something against having a healthy body and a healthy bank account, we all know this fast food favorite can’t be a regular occurrence. That’s why we tossed together this healthy Hawaiian-pesto deal, perfect for when that pizza craving hits. It’s high in protein and healthy fats, and the flavor is off the charts. We think it’s so good, you may just delete your delivery guy from speed dial.
Hawaiian Pizza with Grilled Chicken & Kale Pesto
Prep Time: 20 min • Total Time: 1 hr 30 min • Servings 8
• 1 cup grilled chicken, thinly sliced
• ½ cup fresh pineapple, diced
• ¼ cup crumbled soft goat cheese (21% MF)
• ¼ cup shredded partly skimmed mozzarella cheese
• ⅛ cup finely sliced sundried tomatoes
• 1 cup whole-wheat flour
• ½ cup all-purpose flour
• 1 Tbsp each: ground flax, chia seeds, hemp seeds
• 1 tsp sea salt
• ½ Tbsp olive oil
• ¾ tsp active dry yeast
• ½ tsp liquid honey
• ¾ cup very warm water
Join the STRONG Newsletter
Our Mission is to Motivate, Educate & Empower You to Achieve a Fit & Healthy Life.
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Place flour, seeds, salt and oil into a food processor with metal blade.
Pulse until combined.
2. In a small bowl, stir together yeast, honey and water. Let stand for about 1 minute until bubbles start to form on top of water.
3. With motor running, slowly pour in yeast mixture until dough just starts to come together and begins to form a ball.
4. Place dough onto lightly floured surface. Using clean hands, form dough into a ball.
5. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and place on warm surface (on top of the refrigerator works well) for 45 minutes to rise.
6. Once dough has risen, place on a baking sheet or pizza stone and gently stretch dough to fit the entire surface.
7. Spread Kale Pesto evenly over crust and top with cheese, chicken, pineapple, and sundried tomatoes. Bake in center of oven for 25 minutes or until edges and bottom are golden.
Total Time: 5 minutes • Makes ¾ cup pesto
• 1/3 cup whole raw cashews
• 3 cups packed baby kale (or chopped regular kale)
• 3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 tsp minced garlic
• ¼ tsp chili flakes
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 2 Tbsp water
• 1 tsp grated lemon zest
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Place cashews in food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
2. Add kale, cheese, garlic and spices and pulse until chopped. Keep the motor running and drizzle oil and water, scraping the sides when needed.
3. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Use leftover pesto on sandwiches and salads!
Nutrients per serving (one slice):
Calories: 232, Fat: 10 g, Carbs: 22 g, Protein: 11 g, Fiber: 3 g