There’s no better motivation for rolling out of a warm bed in the morning than the promise of an awesome breakfast. Enter a healthy, hearty twist on your standard eggs and bacon that will keep you chugging all day long. Don’t let the word “salad” fool you: this recipe provides the perfect fuel for a stellar day (i.e. complex carbs, filling fiber and tons of lean protein). Planning a tough workout later? Double up on the egg (they’re high in energy-providing B vitamins, as well as the amino acid leucine, which plays a role in muscle growth and recovery). Even if you’re not a morning person, this energizing breakfast will have you leaping out of bed, ready to grab the day by the — well, you know.
Roasted Veg, Sausage & Fried Egg Salad
Prep time: 10 min • Total Time: 40 min • Makes 1 serving
• 1 cup Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
• 1 cup sweet potato, cubed
• ¼ cup sweet onion, chopped
• 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
• 1 chicken sausage, sliced
• 2 large eggs
• 1 Tbsp balsamic glaze
• 1 tsp salt, divided
• 1 tsp black pepper, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes and onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil, and ½ tsp each of salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 min or until browned.
Tip: Roast the sweet potato the night before to save time, then reheat in the morning.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and fry sausage slices over medium heat until cooked through. Remove sausage and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in the pan and cook eggs until white is cooked but yolk is still soft.
4. Place veggies and sausage in a bowl and toss with remaining seasoning. Top with fried eggs. Drizzle balsamic glaze and serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 492, Fat: 28 g, Carbs: 46 g
Protein: 18 g, Fiber: 7 g
Love this? Find this recipe plus a five-day energizing meal plan in the Jan/Feb 2016 issue of STRONG.